Teaser Tuesday – The Book of Negroes

teasertuesdays2

Here we are again! Today is Teaser Tuesday, hosted by MizB over at the Should Be Reading blog. Here is the protocol:

1. Grab your current read and open to a random page
  2. Take two sentences from that page to post as a teaser
  3. NO SPOILERS!

I’m still reading the book from last week (I’ll be nibbling at it for some time), but I also have two other books going. So my teaser today is from another book, The Book of Negroes, by Lawrence Hill.

This book was published in the United States as Someone Knows My Name, because apparently Americans cannot be allowed to read a book with That Word in the title, even if the author, a black man, chooses it himself. And even if there was a real, historical “Book of Negroes” to whom the author and the main character are referring. So if you are teased by this book and you live in the U.S., you’d have to look for it by its secondary name.

Anyway, here’s my teaser:

To gaze into another person’s face is to do two things: to recognize their humanity, and to assert your own. As I began my long march from home, I discovered that there were people in the world who didn’t know me, didn’t love me, and didn’t care whether I lived or died.

The Book of Negroes, Canadian hardcover edition, p. 29

These lines are taken from the moment just after Aminata, the main character, has been captured from her village in Africa and is about to be taken across the ocean into slavery.

I have to get this book back to the library on Saturday (I doubt I’ll be able to renew it, it’s so popular), and just started it. So I hope I can finish! I have a hard time reading books like this.

Meanwhile, if you want to do a Teaser of your own, visit the Should Be Reading blog and leave yours there, and have a look at a whole bunch of others. 🙂

1. That certainly gives one pause, doesn’t it? A reminder of how things were, and still are in some places.

Thanks for sharing.

2. Freda says:

Fantastic teaser!

3. abi says:

Oh, sounds good.

Thanks for visiting my TT.

Yes, Beverly Lewis’ next book is out. I believe The Telling will be out soon too.

4. Jennifer says:

Wonderful teaser and the book sounds rather interesting, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

5. Cool teaser. I hope that you will enjoy your book. [My Tuesday Teaser]

6. Lisa says:

That’s an excellent choice – very thoughtful and expressive.

Thanks for stopping by my website!

7. kaye says:

So sad! I hope you’re enjoying the book. My TT is from The Seventh Witch and can be found here

8. Lisa says:

Sounds like something I would read.

here’s mine

9. Liz says:

Interesting read. My teaser is from Confucius Jade by Frederick Fisher, who puts his life as a gemologist and passion “treasure-hunting” for fine jewelry and Oriental art and treasures into a book about a fabulous jade carving that 3 ruthless types who want it for its power and promise of long life and redemption. He wrote this in his 80s! I love that about this book, which is a good read and a page-turner.

[[“Watch for unusual jade sculpture come on market. National Museum, Taipei might unload treasure for cash. Chiang’s son always need money. Possible Madam Chiang has valuable items in closet. Old Nationalists worried about Mainland merger not too far off. Sailors say, rats leaving the ship. Maybe need liquidate secret treasures.]]

10. Novroz says:

Unusual book title. I really like your teaser, kinda makes me thinking.

11. Jennifer G. says:

This sounds like it’s going to be an emotionally difficult read. It’s good to remember the past though.