Teaser Tuesday – Merlin’s Ring

Good day! Time for another Tuesday Teaser. This is the famous exercise in which we take our current read, open to a random page, and pull two  sentences from it, to use as teasers. This will help our readers decide if the book sounds interesting enough to read themselves. But we don’t take sentences that give too much of the essential plot away. In other words, NO SPOILERS!

This meme is hosted by MizB at the Should be Reading blog. Head over there today and leave a link to your own Teaser.

For mine, today I’m flying totally blind. I’m about two pages into Merlin’s ring, a book published in 1974 by Ballantine Books, as a part of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series. H. Warner Munn was a writer who had begun writing science fiction in 1925, and this book was the culmination and crown of his career.

It features the travels through time and history of Gwalchmai, the godson of Merlin, and Gwalchmai’s encounters with Corenice, an immortal sorceress from Atlantis, who was his beloved.

In this case, I’m going to cheat and do two small paragraphs instead of sentences.

Durandal passed through the body of the dark man like a wisp of vapor and clanged upon the throne. As it made contact, everything changed. Like a bursting bubble, the surrounding phantasms passed away.

The pillars of the hall were once more broad-branched trees. Mist hung again above them and the furnishings were gone. All this in the time in which the sword continued on and struck sparks once more from the boulder upon which dying Roland had sought to shatter it.

Merlin’s ring, p. 170

Already this appears to be in a sort of old-style type of fantasy. I’m looking forward to reading more, and getting back into that older view.

1. Beth F says:

Good one — I love Arthur stories.

2. Lynn says:

Oh, that sounds pretty good! Have you read Gillian Bradshaw’s Arthurian historical fantasy series, Down the Long Wind? I’d say the series is definitely a good example of “old-style type of fantasy.”

You know, that’s one I’ve not encountered yet. Obviously I need to find it now, since I’m doing a bit of collecting of Arthurian stories. 🙂 Thanks for the suggestion!

3. Fascinating! Visual images are totally present….

Here’s mine:

4. Violet says:

Sounds like a slow-motion moment in the midst of an exciting scene. I like the image of the pillars transforming into a canopy of trees. Happy reading! 🙂

5. Jess. says:

Very vivid wording from your teaser! I love it!

Thanks for stopping by Find the Time to Read. I hope you come back and visit again soon 🙂

6. I think I read this one long, long ago (well, back in the ’70s), but don’t really remember anything about it. Maybe it’s time for a re-read. Excellent teaser!

Hee! I actually could have read this in the 70s too, but must have been concentrating on different sorts of books at the time, getting out of high school and then moving into the work world. I have a friend who knows the history of SF&F really well, and he keeps watching out for books like this for me, at library sales and garage sales. He’s sent me a huge number of them, and they’re a real treasure.

Anyway, thanks for coming by!

7. What a lovely image. Arthurian fantasy is almost in a class of its own.

I so agree. I’ve ended up starting to collect stories that have riffed on the Arthurian myths in various ways. Everything from Mary Stewart’s excellent Merlin books to Guy Gavriel Kay’s marvelous Fionavar Tapestry. There are so many ways the Arthurian stories can be expressed and built on.

Thanks for stopping by!

8. Sounds interesting! I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you finish.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

9. lisa-marie says:

That’s a great teaser! Really gives a sence of time and space! Thanks so much for stopping by!

10. Cait H. says:

I love old school fantasy, and this teaser is wonderful. I’ll have to look this book up, it sounds like something I’d really enjoy! Thanks for stopping by my blog today =)

As I mentioned to someone else, I’m slowly getting a collection of these types of books, as a friend in New Jersey finds them and sends them to me. I feel like I’m filling up a huge gap in my literary education. 🙂

11. pussreboots says:

Thank you for stopping by. Enjoy your book. Mine’s from The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry.

12. Jo-Jo says:

What a great teaser. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

13. Marie says:

That’s an awesome teaser! Very intriguing- a great setting setup.